Wrestling Forum And Videos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe Portal!Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We were DELETED. Link below to back up forum or our new WOKEN vessel

rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com

The Day Of The Manager

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Discopants
Most decorated Champion in history
Most decorated Champion in history
Discopants

Location : Babylon Number of posts : 7492 Favourite Wrestler : Abdullah the Butcher

The Day Of The Manager Empty
PostSubject: The Day Of The Manager   The Day Of The Manager EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Managers used to be huge part of wrestling and were key in getting wrestlers over for a lot of years. There was Captain Lou Albano, Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Mr.Fuji and they all worked with the best their respected era had to offer. Then later there was Bearer but despite his popularity and success the manager had all but died out then. Plus he was more of a character considering he's the father of Taker and Kane.

What I'm wondering now though is if the manager is possibly make a comeback. The most recent example is Tony Atlas which IMO has worked wonderfully well. He did most of the talking at first but Henry now seems far more willing to talk and is much better at it. That is undoubtedly because of Atlas.

I suppose Ezekiel is also a "manager" of sorts too. I would class anyone who becomes a constant part of a wrestlers entourage and has some sort of active role a manager. He gives Kendrick that powerful touch and he wouldn't be half as convincing if he was squashing people without a 7 foot muscle head watching over him.

Then there's people like Singh (Khali's chum) who are more of a necessity rather than anything which really helps his character. He's fairly dull and doesn't have much flair when talking. A better spokesperson would surely lead to more interest in Khali.

I know were not going to have the huge influx of managers like in the 80's and early 90's but I reckon that if used sparingly it could really help get some people over as is evident with Henry. People such as Umaga and Kozlov are obvious choices but I think they can get over in other ways. They should maybe try and test it out with some more average sized wrestlers and see what becomes of that.

One thing I don't like is every time an ex-wrestler crops up in a conversation people instantly say "GM" and "manager" but you have to be very very good if all you have is words and no actions which is why only a select few people with very good mic skills could do it.

One obvious one would have to be Flair. One of the best ever on the mic IMO and definitely has the abilities to be a fantastic manager. I think his time in Evolution proved that which in all honesty was mostly a manager style role for him, mainly with HHH.

So, is there room for any more managers?

Who would/wouldn't make a good manager?

Who needs a good manger?
Back to top Go down
macclads
Money in the bank winner
Money in the bank winner
macclads

Location : Cheshire Number of posts : 1556 Favourite Wrestler : Current WWE: The Miz, Jericho, Orton, Evan Bourne, William Regal, Christian, Jack Swagger, CM Punk, Kaval

TNA: Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Jay Lethal, Matt Morgan, Desmond Wolfe, Mr Anderson, Hernandez, Douglas Williams, Robert Roode, Kurt Angle, Young Bucks, Samoa Joe, Kaz.

Others: Bryan Danielson, Chris Hero, Colt Cabana, Christopher Daniels, Jack Evans, Austin Aries, Tyler Black, El Generico, Briscoe Brothers, Claudio Castagnoli, Roderick Strong, Rhett Titus.

The Day Of The Manager Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Day Of The Manager   The Day Of The Manager EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 pm

I was hoping that when Jericho returned that he could have taken Khali under his wing. The old WCW style heel that he prtrayed could have been great with a dumb monster aligned with him.

James Mitchell is an obvious choice that could be brought over now to WWE, it seems they are becoming keener on stables again with La Familia, Cena & CT, Orton possibly with Priceless. Mitchell becoming the guy in charge of Kane and possibly Mysterio if he does do a swerve at Unforgiven.
Back to top Go down

The Day Of The Manager
Page 1 of 1