Wrestling Forum And Videos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe Portal!Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We were DELETED. Link below to back up forum or our new WOKEN vessel

rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com

Raven

Go down 
+10
InvincibleIleak
jlewallen
Brandon Buchanan
GrayPhantom
JacMan
wardy12345678910
rocky25
Dr. Oznog
thegunman84
the-gaffer
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Location : Glasgow Number of posts : 12238 Favourite Wrestler : CM Punk

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Always a character I really enjoyed, more so his transformation into Raven in ECW and his early WCW stuff, whats his status with the WWE? did they part on good terms and does anyone think their is a chance for him to make a return, I've always thought he and the Undertaker could have a seriously good long programme together, he is one of those character who would fit brilliantly into those type angles with the gimmick matches included
Back to top Go down
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/U13785074
thegunman84
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
thegunman84

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Well when ECW and WCW were bought over, with a bunch of guys being signed to WWE contracts, there was the story that Vince walked into the locker room, looked around and said 'Who the fuck hired Raven?' I don't think Vince has ever really thought much of him. That coupled with the recent lawsuit that Raven filed against the WWE would make me think that he won't be coming back.

I always really liked Raven, and it really is criminal that he was never given a big push in a major company. I think he's pretty much retired now though, concentrating on running his wrestling school.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Yea I knew he had a wrestling school and that can only be good for guys learning the business, if not for in ring skill certainly for character psychology!

I forgot all about Vince's alledged "who hired Raven" outburst, he'll probably always remember him as Johnny Polo, its madness as well because as Polo Vince had him producing many VHS's back in the mid 90s
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
thegunman84

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Yeah I remember when I heard he was opening a school, I thought that that was the place I'd want to go if I wanted to train as a wrestler. Like you say, in ring skill might not be fantastic, but for character and telling a story in the ring, there's few could teach those elements better than Raven, and those are really the main tools needed to be a success in the business.

And yeah, you're probably right about Vince still seeing him as Johnny Polo. It's a shame, cos if pushed right, he could have been a huge star anywhere. In WCW, I think they were keen on him, but with the nWo dominating the main event, he was never gonna get his shot, that's the same reason the likes of Jericho left, despite being well liked by the company.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 5:01 pm

The Jericho/Raven match in WCW over the TV title was immense

I just see him as someone who could really sell an angle with The Undertaker, even if it wasn't a long contract, maybe a short term one (4 months say) I think he would be able to get heat like not many in the WWE and it would suit The Undertakers character down to a tee, more hope than expectation though, just wondered what people saw of his chances
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
thegunman84

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Chances are slim, but I would definitely like to see it, so long as he's still in shape. His weight has fluctuated so much, I'm just not sure what kind of condition he's in these days, although he was in good nick during his final appearances for TNA, so he might be capable.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 5:07 pm

I was wondering about his weight, one of the only things that puts me off of bringing guys back in years later, you like to remember them in great shape or at least the shape they made their name with, anything other than that doesn't feel right, I think thats why so many where happy with Steamboat, apart from still being able to work he actually looked like he could!

I would hope now that Raven's got a wrestling school he might actually be working more than he did when he was at his peak
Back to top Go down
Dr. Oznog
Amateur Wrestler
Amateur Wrestler
Dr. Oznog

Location : Deepest, Darkest Africa Number of posts : 119 Favourite Wrestler : Ric Flair, Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Mick Foley, Stan Hansen, Vader, Dr. Death, Terry Gordy, Raven, Dean Malenko, Mr. Perfect, Ricky Steamboat, Ted DiBiase, Randy Savage

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 5:54 pm

Huge Raven mark myself, loved what he did in WCW, it was a shame that Bischoff was so obsessed with the nWo that he couldn't see some of the potential he had on his hands. While his WWE run was largely forgettable, Raven deserves credit for getting himself into tremendous shape and making the hardcore title seem worthwhile, albeit briefly! Raven V Taker would definitely be something I'd be interested in seeing, but I think it's 10 years too late No
Back to top Go down
rocky25
Amateur Wrestler
Amateur Wrestler
rocky25

Number of posts : 103

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 6:09 pm

i will love to see raven back in wwe but i dont think that will ever happen
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Oz I think your right, 10 years ago would have been absolutely perfect for the two of those to have a match but if Raven could get himself into the shape he managed during his run in the WWE then I think Taker still has it in him to have a few top notch matches, also if you add the gimmicks to it then the match quality itself doesn't need to be at its best, I would like to see it more for all the angles and promos that could come from it myself

I remember thinking years ago, 99 I think that he was a possibility to be the Higher Power, Sting was my first thought but I always felt it could have been Raven, less net exposure back then of course
Back to top Go down
wardy12345678910
First Amateur Title
First Amateur Title
wardy12345678910

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 8:39 pm

I don't really know too much about Raven, but he has been in England recently doing a few shows for the english company Extreme World Wrestling (www.eww-wrestling.co.uk), they did a show in my hometown but I couldnt get the time off work to go see the show
Back to top Go down
Dr. Oznog
Amateur Wrestler
Amateur Wrestler
Dr. Oznog

Location : Deepest, Darkest Africa Number of posts : 119 Favourite Wrestler : Ric Flair, Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Mick Foley, Stan Hansen, Vader, Dr. Death, Terry Gordy, Raven, Dean Malenko, Mr. Perfect, Ricky Steamboat, Ted DiBiase, Randy Savage

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 10:41 pm

the-gaffer wrote:
Oz I think your right, 10 years ago would have been absolutely perfect for the two of those to have a match but if Raven could get himself into the shape he managed during his run in the WWE then I think Taker still has it in him to have a few top notch matches, also if you add the gimmicks to it then the match quality itself doesn't need to be at its best, I would like to see it more for all the angles and promos that could come from it myself

I remember thinking years ago, 99 I think that he was a possibility to be the Higher Power, Sting was my first thought but I always felt it could have been Raven, less net exposure back then of course

Yeah the higher power storyline would have been a nice way of bringing Raven in, instead of bringing him in on the Tazz/Lawler feud which bugged the shit outta me cause I was hoping Tazz would be something in WWE, Raven too Crying or Very sad one rumour I heard about the Higher Power thing though, was that Jake Roberts was briefly considered for the role. Now we all know that Roberts has been a waste of space for over 10 years now, but if he had been clean at the time I think that could have been awesome. Jake is another guy like Raven who could just suck you into a feud through the strength of their promos. Besides, anything would've been better than "It was ME Austin!!!" to absolutely no surprise Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 11:15 pm

I think I might have read someone say Jake before although it might have been you in one of these higher power conversations, remembering how out of shape Jake looked in 96 I'm not sure if I would have liked that but if he was clean and in shape then I agree he would have been perfect, they could also have referred back to 1991 when he also orchestrated the Undertaker and Warrior feud
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 11:17 pm

I also can't stress enough how much I despised McMahon being the higher power, it was self indulgent bullshit that did absolutely nothing for about 15 guys who had to merge into 'the corporate ministry'

Great way to absolutely kill two very good and different type of stables
Back to top Go down
Dr. Oznog
Amateur Wrestler
Amateur Wrestler
Dr. Oznog

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 11:32 pm

the-gaffer wrote:
I also can't stress enough how much I despised McMahon being the higher power, it was self indulgent bullshit that did absolutely nothing for about 15 guys who had to merge into 'the corporate ministry'

Great way to absolutely kill two very good and different type of stables

Well pretty much everything the McMahons do is self indulgent bullshit. Vince won the Royal Rumble, the linear World Title, the ECW title, has people kiss his ass on live tv, written himself into several scenarios with the Divas which hint or explicitly state that he is banging them etc. Shane wrestles once every few years, but is always presented as a viable threat, despite not being in great shape and dancing like a fud all the time. He also has a bad reputation in regards to selling for other wrestlers. Stephanie is every male man's fantasy, or so she'd like you to believe. When she was Smackdown GM, everybody from John Cena to Eric Bischoff was just falling over themselves to tell Steph just how hot she really was. Stephanie is also a former womens champ, despite having no talent in ring besides shrieking. She also Technically headlined Wrestlemania X8, cause Chris Jericho sure as hell didn't, he was too busy walking the dog. Grr
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 04, 2009 11:42 pm

taking th piss out o

Anyway........
Back to top Go down
JacMan
Second Divorce
JacMan

Location : Glasgow Number of posts : 3774 Favourite Wrestler : Undertaker, CM Punk, Robert Roode, Kurt Angle, Michael McGillicutty, Jericho, Daniel Bryan, Ziggler, Jack Swagger

All Time - JBL/Edge/Shawn Michaels

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyTue May 05, 2009 12:22 am

I didn't see a lot of Raven but i remember he did very well at wrestlemania 17 with kane and big show despite the size difference.

Did Raven not have a programme with Undertaker when Raven eliminated him from the rumble?

It was either Raven or Maven i remember reading it on wiki
Back to top Go down
GrayPhantom
Wrestling Mates in living room
Wrestling Mates in living room
GrayPhantom

Location : Saint Louis Number of posts : 50 Favourite Wrestler : Christian, Randy Orton

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyTue May 05, 2009 5:07 am

I think that was Maven, he drop kicked Undertaker in the back emliminating him from the Royal Rumble. I really liked Raven though. He just played the character so great. Its sad the biggest title he ever won was the NWA championship in TNA. He should have been a main player in WCW and WWE.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Oznog
Amateur Wrestler
Amateur Wrestler
Dr. Oznog

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyTue May 05, 2009 8:49 pm

GrayPhantom wrote:
I think that was Maven, he drop kicked Undertaker in the back emliminating him from the Royal Rumble. I really liked Raven though. He just played the character so great. Its sad the biggest title he ever won was the NWA championship in TNA. He should have been a main player in WCW and WWE.

Yeah it was Maven, taker then beat him around the arena for about 15 minutes, welcome to WWE! I have to disagree that the biggest title he won was the NWA title, because that belt didn't mean much then and means even less now. I'd say winning the ECW World Title or the WCW US title was his biggest championship. But agree that more could have been done with him in both companies.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Buchanan
Called up to main roster
Called up to main roster
Brandon Buchanan

Location : Edinburgh Number of posts : 501 Favourite Wrestler : Raven

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Ah... a Raven thread!!

Well, as you can see from the avatar... I am a huge Raven mark and I make no apology for it! 8)

As for his WWE career, Vince did the best job he could in burying the character - capped off with that ridiculous feud with Saturn over a F'N MOP!!!!!!! I will never forgive them for that one! Evil or Very Mad

Oh and the weight fluctuation thing was due to him having thyroid problems. Seeing him lift the NWA belt after beating Jarrett was one of the best things I'd seen in years!

Thanks, gaffer, for this thread and bringing a smile to my face as I remember that!
Back to top Go down
jlewallen
Developmental Contract
Developmental Contract
jlewallen

Location : alabama Number of posts : 325 Favourite Wrestler : randy orton, christan, jeff hardy

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:33 pm

wasn't raven in tna for a little while
Back to top Go down
Brandon Buchanan
Called up to main roster
Called up to main roster
Brandon Buchanan

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:04 am

jlewallen wrote:
wasn't raven in tna for a little while

Yes he was and was there champion (NWA champion!)

see the picture below! 8)
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
thegunman84

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:57 am

Yeah, unfortunately they waited 2 years too long before giving him the belt though. He should have came in and won the title at his first attempt back in 2003, then it would have been huge. By the time he actually was allowed to get the belt, his popularity had dwindled a bit.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Buchanan
Called up to main roster
Called up to main roster
Brandon Buchanan

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:01 am

thegunman84 wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately they waited 2 years too long before giving him the belt though. He should have came in and won the title at his first attempt back in 2003, then it would have been huge. By the time he actually was allowed to get the belt, his popularity had dwindled a bit.

True but then I'm possibly a tad biased! Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
thegunman84

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:49 am

Well I was happy enough when he won the title too, but I just feel they could have done so much more with him as champion if he had came in and destroyed Jarrett straight away, instead of having to battle away for 2 years to finally get it. It also didn't help that when he did win the title, shortly afterwards Jarrett decided he needed the title for the start of their tv deal, totally killed Raven's push from that point really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raven Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven   Raven Empty

Back to top Go down

Raven
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next