Wrestling Forum And Videos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe Portal!Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We were DELETED. Link below to back up forum or our new WOKEN vessel

rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com

Is wrestling missing a star?

Go down 
+2
the-gaffer
Reaper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Reaper
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Reaper

Location : The Depths of Hell Number of posts : 1019 Favourite Wrestler : The Past: Shawn Michaels

The Present: CM Punk

The Future: Alex Shelley

All Time: Eddie Guerrero

Is wrestling missing a star? Empty
PostSubject: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 8:52 pm

When wrestling first began getting mainstream popularity, the man leading the company was Hulk Hogan, he was instantly recognisable to all wrestling and non wrestling fans and had the charisma to keep people coming back for more, the mention of his name guaranteed a ppv success.
In the 90s the company went in a new direction with a more edgier product but still they had two major stars that everyone knew and kept audiences captivated, Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock.

Now in the current WWE, who is the standout star? Can anyone on the roster say they reached the heights of Hogan, Austin, Rock? I don't think so, there are many potential candidates,

Christian- A great wrestler and can play a heel and face brilliantly, if Christian is pushed and is able to showcase his talents he could be the star WWE need.

CM Punk- If Punk is allowed to go all out he could be the most hated heel of all time.

Randy Orton- The IWC has been crying out for Orton to take up a tweener role and I'm no different, this could take Orton to new heights.

Alex Shelley- Shelley has a good bit to go yet btu I've said countless times that Shelley is like a young Shawn Michaels and if he keeps on getting better then there's no telling how big a star he could be.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://z3.invisionfree.com/6CW/index.php?
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Location : Glasgow Number of posts : 12238 Favourite Wrestler : CM Punk

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 11:48 pm

I'm not so sure, John Cena is without a doubt the modern day face of pro wrestling, like him or not, is near on impossible to deny it, I don't see anyone in the business currently who could rival him for that position, not in the foreseeable future

What I would say though is Christian if the WWE machine got behind him could possibly match that, I see a lot of The Rock and Shawn Michaels in him, when you combine that then it could be awesome

I think Orton could be, but it would be hard, he hasn't got that natural charisma that top guys usually need.

I'd like him to have the same sort of style as Austin, just an out and out badass who takes everyone out, faces and heels, but I'd rather he had a character like Goldberg where he said very little, but when he did it was worth listening too
Back to top Go down
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/U13785074
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

Number of posts : 13076

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 2:20 am

I dont really thing there is chance for a standout star these days, if you dont like wrestling then you are a "greased up men hugging" person, who knows its staged and will never give it two thoughts.

in the times of hogan, there was no inside scoop, people saw what the companies wanted them to see. Hogan was THE american hero and wrestling was bigger back then too so more people were exposed throught talk, chatshows, marketing.

I just do not think wrestling nearly as mainstream as it used to be, because more people slag it off if they hear it mentioned and thats about it. It will never be as big as it once was, its getting more and more cult I would say.

Be nice if TNA really step up to create pressure though, because then wwe will have to respond, but for now, cheap celeb plugs and 2 hours of drivell will not win over any new fans.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 3:01 am

The one guy I see as an outstanding candidate is Robert Roode, he has absolutely everything needed to be a major player and I think once the push begins he will take off completely!
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 3:33 am

I think roode and burke are two guys that TNA really will use well in the coming years.

I know everyone bums off aj style, but on the mic he is southern state thick as fuck hillbilly boring twat. And I know a few people who cant look past that, yes he is good in ring (not as good as he should be right now still, yes im picky) but if he wants our I think tna could easilly cope without him, after a nice feud with angle/daniels/joe mix and match.

the future is no longer in AJ, it really is in the current mid carders. Aj has possibley done just about all he can, cos as a champion in tna, well SNOOZE. as a contender for somthign in wwe, go for it if he wants.
Back to top Go down
macclads
Money in the bank winner
Money in the bank winner
macclads

Country : Is wrestling missing a star? UnitedStatesofAmericaUSA-1

Location : Cheshire Number of posts : 1556 Favourite Wrestler : Current WWE: The Miz, Jericho, Orton, Evan Bourne, William Regal, Christian, Jack Swagger, CM Punk, Kaval

TNA: Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Jay Lethal, Matt Morgan, Desmond Wolfe, Mr Anderson, Hernandez, Douglas Williams, Robert Roode, Kurt Angle, Young Bucks, Samoa Joe, Kaz.

Others: Bryan Danielson, Chris Hero, Colt Cabana, Christopher Daniels, Jack Evans, Austin Aries, Tyler Black, El Generico, Briscoe Brothers, Claudio Castagnoli, Roderick Strong, Rhett Titus.

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 9:38 am

Wolfe's debut and the weight behind at the moment will be hard to stop, I can see him being TNA's main heel for quite a while as long as Hogan is okay with the 'wankers' comments

I think that's the main issue at the moment in TNA. There's some great great pushes currently going on. AJ as champ, Daniels back in the main event. Hernandez, Morgan & MCMG all getting more airtime. Pope looks like he's on a push and he's showing great form. But what input and influence will Hogan have?
Some say he's just got creative contol on himself but then others say he's basically going to be running the show, and he himself is doing his usual 'I am the best thing ever, bigger than Jesus routine' so it result in main events of Brian Nobbs v Brutus Beefcake soon.

Roode's a good shout, very much in the style of an 80's heel (Perfect, Rude and MDM combination)

Shelley is also someone I linked to Michaels in his youth and although Sabin has tremendous qualities himself I feel Shelley has more of an allround package, a real poster boy for kids walls.

In WWE the money has to be on Jack Swagger as TNBT. He's the perfect WWE look and will become a huge star in the next 2-3 years.
Will be interesting to see what will happen with the Punk v Truth feud. It's meant to be more a sink or swim push for Truth rather than a demotion for Punk (similar to how they pushed both Hardy and Punk himself although I think Truth needs a more bonafide main eventer to work off, Jericho ideally, though it should be great matches between the two). Kingston too now he's drop the Jamaican me Crazy gimmick has the chance to become a proper main eventer even if it's to represent the token black guy in a main event spot that's been vacated since Lashley jumped ship.

With ROH been raped for all it's worth at present and the Briscoes being the latest possibly to be tempted to the bright lights of WWE then I think that has to be looked at for future stars and my money is on Chris Hero.
He's a star that has it all and can be over with all types of fans, also the name itself will get him over Wink
Back to top Go down
Reaper
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Reaper

Location : The Depths of Hell Number of posts : 1019 Favourite Wrestler : The Past: Shawn Michaels

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 3:28 pm

I always hear people going on about how great Roode is but I actually prefer Storm, I think Storm has more charisma then Roode they are both very good in the ring and I think Storm is better on the mic.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 8:29 pm

I think they will have a big feud planned for them in the future.

roode was only in the team for money, simple way to break up a friendship after the team finishes when they both go on to singles pushes.

they can go seperate ways as friends, but then meet down the line so its not like an instant we now hate eachother rivalry straight after teaming, hi vince.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Storm is good but for me he is behind Roode, by a distance too I'd say, Roode has that 'IT' factor where as I don't see it in Storm, he definitely has the ability and charisma to be a World Champ in his own right, but as a real star I'd say Roode is more the man, also, to disagree with Maccs, while I can see a lot of an 80s heel style to his game, I think he would be perfect as an edgy face character, one who doesn't care about rules or authority, just an out and out badass
Back to top Go down
Reaper
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 6:36 pm

I just can't see anything special in Roode, he's a good wrestler and good on the mic but I can't see him being anything more than an upper midcarder, I think Storm is the better of the two, Storm is more charasmatic on the mic where as I feel Roode can be dull at times, I think Storm would make a brilliant main event heel.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm

haha guess im no wrestling fan, I only found out yesterday Wolfe was Nigel Mcguiness geek
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Reaper wrote:
I just can't see anything special in Roode, he's a good wrestler and good on the mic but I can't see him being anything more than an upper midcarder, I think Storm is the better of the two, Storm is more charasmatic on the mic where as I feel Roode can be dull at times, I think Storm would make a brilliant main event heel.

I'm on the other side of the fence completely, I think Storm has found his level, think he is perfect for his position right now where as anything Roode has done up to now in a lot of different situations has come across really well, when Storm was in singles I found it hard to get interested in him at all, the whole beer drinking gimmick and the feud with Eric Young was car crash TV, I can't see TNA changing his gimmick much, but I can't see him getting any bigger than he already is
Back to top Go down
Bobby Roode
Developmental Contract
Developmental Contract
Bobby Roode

Number of posts : 328 Favourite Wrestler : Robert Roode and James Storm. Braden Walker.

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:32 pm

I rate Robert Roode!
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Never........................ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
macclads
Money in the bank winner
Money in the bank winner
macclads

Country : Is wrestling missing a star? UnitedStatesofAmericaUSA-1

Location : Cheshire Number of posts : 1556 Favourite Wrestler : Current WWE: The Miz, Jericho, Orton, Evan Bourne, William Regal, Christian, Jack Swagger, CM Punk, Kaval

TNA: Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Jay Lethal, Matt Morgan, Desmond Wolfe, Mr Anderson, Hernandez, Douglas Williams, Robert Roode, Kurt Angle, Young Bucks, Samoa Joe, Kaz.

Others: Bryan Danielson, Chris Hero, Colt Cabana, Christopher Daniels, Jack Evans, Austin Aries, Tyler Black, El Generico, Briscoe Brothers, Claudio Castagnoli, Roderick Strong, Rhett Titus.

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Yeah but you also rate Braden Walker so your points aren't valid Wink
Back to top Go down
Bobby Roode
Developmental Contract
Developmental Contract
Bobby Roode

Number of posts : 328 Favourite Wrestler : Robert Roode and James Storm. Braden Walker.

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Fair point haha!
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Kay Fabe™ wrote:
Reaper wrote:

I'm on the other side of the fence completely, I think Storm has found his level, think he is perfect for his position right now where as anything Roode has done up to now in a lot of different situations has come across really well, when Storm was in singles I found it hard to get interested in him at all, the whole beer drinking gimmick and the feud with Eric Young was car crash TV, I can't see TNA changing his gimmick much, but I can't see him getting any bigger than he already is
To be fair though, Robert Roode also had a terrible fued wiuth Eric Young which seemed like it was never going to end. I do agree however, that Roode has more long term potential as a singles star than Storm does, although I did really enjoy his singles run. Roode reminds me a lot of Tully Blanchard, and that's certainly no bad thing. Still, I don't want to see Beer Money split up just yet, as that could really harm TNA's tag division right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is wrestling missing a star?   Is wrestling missing a star? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is wrestling missing a star?
Page 1 of 1