Wrestling Forum And Videos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe Portal!Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We were DELETED. Link below to back up forum or our new WOKEN vessel

rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com

MVP - Winning Streak?

Go down 
+2
Sexton Hardcastle
the-gaffer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Location : Glasgow Number of posts : 12238 Favourite Wrestler : CM Punk

MVP - Winning Streak? Empty
PostSubject: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 9:25 pm

THE LOSING STREAK IS OVER

MVP - Winning Streak? 100
Now that Montel Vontavious Porter has finally ended his 20 week losing streak it would be madness for the WWE to not play on it, I was hoping for a bigger pay off than just beating the count of 10 in a last man standing match as well, however now it is over its going to be interesting to see where exactly they plan to go with this.

There has been big talk that while this losing streak was given as a punishment to MVP for some 'career advice' handed out to a 'Wellness tester' there has also been talk that the streak continued because those in power within the WWE see 2009 as a big year for him, possibly a World Title reign could be headed his way, which for me would be excellent, its always fresh to see them pull the trigger on another guy, someone who has an excellent gimmick, an excellent look and very charismatic, although his finisher would need to improve before I buy him as a legitimate main eventer, although that can wait.

He is only a World Title away from being a WWE grand slam champion!

For MVP to be given a World Title shot then his winning streak would need to be quite spectacular right? NO, there are two ways the WWE can go about this, they could either have him win the Royal Rumble which delves you straight into the WrestleMania main event, or he could be booked to win the 'Money In The Bank' match, neither involves actually scoring a pin fall either.

What I would love to see would be MVP to go on this massive winning streak, however I would also like him to only win his matches by count out or by getting his opponent disqualified, this could lead to a huge build up, particularly if he was in the MITB match a WM25, he could then win that match as well by again without having to pin someone, then the first time he actually gets a pin fall would be the night he cashes in his MITB shot, MVP could possibly go a full year without a pin fall victory until the night he is given his title shot, and he manages it, in that time he could find, practice and master a new more devastating finisher that befits a World Champion.

United States Champion 11 months 1 week
Tag Team Champion 4 months

Is MVP a realistic 2009 World Champion candidate?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/U13785074
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

Number of posts : 13076

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 9:36 pm

Is MVP a realistic 2009 World Champion candidate?

i trully believe his push has arrived.

Was let on soccer AM to promote the rumble Laughing

hes a likeable guy, has a story to tell with his life turning around, hes black (and people know that that does matter)

thought they were going to push r truth as the (anyone can make it) guy, but MVP is far more over as a heel and his face turn seems to be in the works.

People can look up to him and how he made it out of a rough comunity, fine he payed for his mistakes too, but someone to look up to can help people avoid the mistakes in the first place. etcetc.

he wrestles a solid enough style, he can talk for days infront of a crowd.

and his charactor is marketable as anything, he can be face for a good time then the wealth can go to his head again for easy heel turns.

I do think wwe trust this guy to compete with the top dogs in the wwe
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Sexton those are basically my thoughts on the guy as well, the fact he was given the role to come over and promote the Rumble when Batista who is a much bigger name is doing nothing just now intrested me, I think its a sign that while they may not pull the trigger on him just now, its definitely in the plans
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:01 pm

one thing i can say too is "who promoted the rumble last year in england"

Wink

good article too
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:17 pm

I've already mentioned that on another article, when asked if MVP would win it, I said it would be funnier if from now on the WWE unintentionally spoiled it by sending the winner to England to do SKYsports news to promote it
Back to top Go down
C4lum
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
C4lum

Number of posts : 2037

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Would you say MVP is now face? the loosing streak he's been on has definitly contributed to him loosing his cocky attitude, he was almost feeling sorry for himself every week, getting a huge face like HHH into the rumble is definitly a good one for the majority of fans so he is probably gonna get a huge face pop this friday, have to say i love him as a heel but im sure he would be a very watchable face.

If he gets the world title this year would be perfect for another heel run, can imagine it now, in his VIP lounge, "Big things poppin', little things stoppin', MVP is once again better than you!"
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 1:44 pm

id have to say his charactor is up there with the best right now. Its the perfect modern twist on other sports and such.

im wondering if vicky will end up trying to punish HHH again and MVP saves HHH in his match. He could quote the reason as "well I cant have all my hard work undone by vicky now could I, I got you in to the rumble and i wasnt going to let her take you out again"

HHH could look a bit perplexed and smackdown ends with those two sharing a handshake.

(could even lead to them being 2 of the last 4 in the rumble)
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 pm

I think the whole angle has been designed for an MVP face turn, I 've wanted it for a while to be honest, they teased it in the 3/4 of 2007 when he was teaming with Matt, it looked like a double turn was on the cards but it never happened, he is cocky but likeable, thats why I thought a face turn was obvious.

I hope the WWE hold with this though, I have already posted spoilers for the next SamckDown! although haven't read much of the, I think I'll need to take a look and see MVPs reaction
Back to top Go down
TheDossman
First Amateur Title
First Amateur Title
TheDossman

Number of posts : 200

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Im not sure about MVP,at the turn of 2008 I quite confidently said he was the star of 2008.Come 2009 and he seems to have stalled,I am not talking about the losing streak I don't really care about that im talking about his wrestling side of things,His improvement in year 1 was immense he looked like once he honed his skill he would be an absolute great superstar.But in 2008 his devolpment seemed to stall and for me that begs the question has he reached his full in ring potential or is he just slowed down as fas as devolpment goes.Before any title talk i'd like to see a small feud with a solid wrestler.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 4:31 pm

He did stall massively and that was for a few reasons. One Matt Hardy was injured, if he didn't get injured in late 07 then MVP could have dropped the title either at Armageddon or The Royal Rumble to Hardy, he couldn't though and there was no one else available on the SD roster that was strong enough to seriously challenge, SD was massively thin back then, then there was the Ric Flair angle where MVP had to basically job to Flair to keep Flairs run going.

MVP had one very good feud in 2008 and it was with Batista, in the lead up to WrestleMania 24 those two had three matches and a good programme that MVP came out on top on, and it actually made the US title look important as well, then Matt Hardy came back and 'got his revenge' by stopping MVP get the briefcase in the MITB match, then after a couple of promos there first match at Backlash saw Hardy win the title then his first two defences on tv where going over MVP, MVP dropping the strap didn't hurt him, however jobbing three weeks in a row to the same guy who was just back from injury did hurt him.

MVP was then kept off TV because there was plans to send him to RAW so they wanted to make his impact as strong as possible on RAW, plans changed though and he was kept on SD, with Kennedy Jeff Hardy, Shelton Benjamin R-Truth and Kozlov all put onto SmackDown! then there wasn't really a place for MVP for a good while, you can only have so many current pushes on the one show, so they used a losing streak for MVP which probably wasn't the initial plan but after having nothing for him for about 2 months they decided to use it as a story, they way he lost on a lot of the times wasn't designed to make him look good, so I don't think he stalled, lately he has been looking strong, for the past 4 or 5 weeks, just being unlucky not to get the win.

I think there is more to come from MVP, just hope that he is allowed to grow into his character more as I think its one of the best characters the WWE have produced in a long time
Back to top Go down
TheDossman
First Amateur Title
First Amateur Title
TheDossman

Number of posts : 200

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 4:40 pm

I agree wtih almost all of that except the whole character side of things.If he turns face I think they need to tone down the Most Valuable Player,best paid scenario and make him more of a guy who fans feel they can relate to.MVP didn't grow up in the higher echelons(sp) of Beverly hills surely portraying a character who has had a real tough upbringing could be done fantastically by a face MVP.
It would be a simploe thing to do with out widespread confusion any amount of reasons could lead to MVP going from a Well-off full of himself athlethe.To him becoming a Struggling batler who despite falling on hard to times is determined to achieve his goal.For me that would be a character more fans could relate to and really get behind
Back to top Go down
macclads
Money in the bank winner
Money in the bank winner
macclads

Location : Cheshire Number of posts : 1556 Favourite Wrestler : Current WWE: The Miz, Jericho, Orton, Evan Bourne, William Regal, Christian, Jack Swagger, CM Punk, Kaval

TNA: Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Jay Lethal, Matt Morgan, Desmond Wolfe, Mr Anderson, Hernandez, Douglas Williams, Robert Roode, Kurt Angle, Young Bucks, Samoa Joe, Kaz.

Others: Bryan Danielson, Chris Hero, Colt Cabana, Christopher Daniels, Jack Evans, Austin Aries, Tyler Black, El Generico, Briscoe Brothers, Claudio Castagnoli, Roderick Strong, Rhett Titus.

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 4:47 pm

Disagree, Rock never really changed his superiority angle even when an uberface. He still spoke in the 3rd person, he still looked down on everyone else yet become the biggest face in the business (okay him and Austin tied).
The whole angle of the losing streak gave him the fans backing, just hope that the link now with HHH doesnt result in him being saved by Super Trips everyweek.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 pm

TheDossman wrote:
I agree wtih almost all of that except the whole character side of things.If he turns face I think they need to tone down the Most Valuable Player,best paid scenario and make him more of a guy who fans feel they can relate to.MVP didn't grow up in the higher echelons(sp) of Beverly hills surely portraying a character who has had a real tough upbringing could be done fantastically by a face MVP.
It would be a simploe thing to do with out widespread confusion any amount of reasons could lead to MVP going from a Well-off full of himself athlethe.To him becoming a Struggling batler who despite falling on hard to times is determined to achieve his goal.For me that would be a character more fans could relate to and really get behind

MVP is one character that will not need to tone down his MVP moniker, while he might do it, he wont need to do it though, thats the point, MVP can play the cocky face who doesn't really care for anyone
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 6:35 pm

I think there is more to come from MVP, just hope that he is allowed to grow into his character more as I think its one of the best characters the WWE have produced in a long time

---

best thing about this is Its his OWN charactor, learnt it from soccer am, was quite interesting.

we all know he got into wrestling via his paroll officer (probably know) but what I didnt know was he pitched his MVP idea to the wwe and they loved it.

So im sure he has an idea of how he will play a face in mind that is of the same standard.

Can easily say im going to prove to you that im the MVP but for now just call me montel lol.

I think being called MVP is easily transferable to face though anyway, people usualy vote for the MVP in american sports so he can set about earning people respect.
Back to top Go down
Rocky2
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend
Rocky2

Location : In My House Number of posts : 4224 Favourite Wrestler : Shawn Michaels

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm glad his losing streak is now over although I would have prefered him to pick up the win by himself, without the help of HHH. I wouldn't have even put him in a match against Big Show, I would have had him face Kozlov and end his undefeated streak. However, I'm just glad the streak is over, no matter how it ended.

I think MVP should not be put into the main event scene right away and I don't think he will. I also don't think he should win the Rumble, I don't feel he is ready to main event Wrestlemania just yet, maybe next year, but not now. I would have him win the MITB though as that gives WWE plenty of time to build him up again and when they are ready to pull the trigger, it is all set up.

Before the MITB though, I hope he picks up a number of pinfall wins, but occassionally loses the odd tag match without MVP getting pinned himself, so as not to make the win at Mania too obvious and to not make MVP look invincible.

And I hope he doesn't change his character now that he is a face. He doesn't need to change it IMO, only to cut down on the "I am better than you" line if it is directed at the fans. And like people have already said, it will be easy to turn him heel again.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 10:40 pm

HHH is facing kozlov isnt he this week!!?1?1?1?!!?!

if MVP helps HHH win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just made me remember that rocky by mentioning kozlov

and earlier i thought it would be good if MVP helped HHH if vicky was beign gay to get a proper face cheer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MVP - Winning Streak?   MVP - Winning Streak? Empty

Back to top Go down

MVP - Winning Streak?
Page 1 of 1