Wrestling Forum And Videos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe Portal!Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We were DELETED. Link below to back up forum or our new WOKEN vessel

rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com

King of the Ring 2011

Go down 
+3
Grecian
Hardcore Waffles
dwindow
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dwindow
Vinces Bitch
dwindow

Number of posts : 1677 Favourite Wrestler :
Sami Callihan

King of the Ring 2011 Empty
PostSubject: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 4:02 pm

I was just thinking back to around this time last year with all the 3 hours Raws we had and realised there has been no King of the Ring 2011. It seems like a waste because that gimmick could have been used to get someone over in just one show, and catapulted them up into the main event.

Just think instead of Daniel Bryan having to be rebuilt this past month if he'd have won KOTR he'd have so much more fan support behind him going into the 'Road to Wrestlemania'. Even someone like DiBiase who at the moment seems ruined beyond repair could've been elevated up the card by just upsetting a major star and reaching the final. And what about Brodus Clay re-debuting at KOTR and destroying everyone in his first night back, it just amazes me it hasn't been done!
Back to top Go down
Hardcore Waffles
Called up to main roster
Called up to main roster
Hardcore Waffles

Location : Trapped in Matt Hardy's rolls of flab Number of posts : 524 Favourite Wrestler : CM Punk
Zack Ryder
Kurt Angle

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 4:04 pm

I like the concept but after what it did to sheamus im not so keen
Back to top Go down
Grecian
Most decorated Champion in history
Grecian

Number of posts : 5679

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 5:32 pm

The King of the Ring is a great concept, if used right. It rebuilt Booker into King Booker (I still wish he'd bring King Bookah! back at some stage), but the last two have been total duds.

Regal got nailed on a Wellness test, and then Sheamus had all the build-up, and they pissed it away.

I'd love to see Brodus come back, destroy three mid-card faces to winning it, and really build him as Raw's monster heel. Same for Daniel Bryan, they need to start doing something with him, Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler... any of them would be great winners and could use it as a means of working their way up the card.

Back to top Go down
hodge13
hodge13

Number of posts : 5725 Favourite Wrestler : Randy Orton
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 5:49 pm

didnt the head writer have it in for sheamus hence why he got stuck with the gimmick and everything?

I think it would do wonders for Wade Barrett, think it would just fit with him
Back to top Go down
dwindow
Vinces Bitch
dwindow

Number of posts : 1677 Favourite Wrestler :
Sami Callihan

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 5:57 pm

I think Wade Barrett would really play a good King of the Ring, his arrogance and self worth screams King! In his entrance he could throw his robe off his shoulders instead of his coat.

I do agree with both of you that it hasn't been done well recently but that said it's played a part in making Savage, Bret Hart, Austin, HHH, Angle and even Lesnar major stars. I know it's lost the prestige it once had but I don't think it's a concept that should be retired.
Back to top Go down
Saint Jimmy
TNA Heavyweight Champion
TNA Heavyweight Champion
Saint Jimmy

Location : Liverpool Number of posts : 1319 Favourite Wrestler : Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 9:34 pm

I think the best ones are the ones who just build of it, go up the card and dont have the gimmick of being a King. Like you said up there dwindow, some of the best ones in building somebodys career were Austin, Bret Hart and Lesnar as Austins break out moment was the King of the Ring, I may be wrong but didnt Bret win the title after winning KOTR (correct me if Im wrong, Im sure someone will) and Lesnar got the title shot against the Rock at Summerslam and became champ.

I think the gimmick of pretending to be an actual King is a bit of a joke. Id rather they just win the King of the Ring and get a title shot at Summerslam because of it, Royal Rumble style. Completely changing someones gimmick is a bit silly in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
hodge13
hodge13

Number of posts : 5725 Favourite Wrestler : Randy Orton
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 10:37 pm

it worked for Regal, but i agree I would like to see the winner get a title shot at Summerslam or maybe Survivor Series as a result. If not a King Of The Ring tournament then a whole roster tournament for a title shot building to a title match at Summerslam/Survivor Series.

16 participants, 4 week tournament building to a #1 contender. Don't feel the concept is used enough
Back to top Go down
Grecian
Grecian

Number of posts : 5679

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Saint Jimmy wrote:
I think the best ones are the ones who just build of it, go up the card and dont have the gimmick of being a King. Like you said up there dwindow, some of the best ones in building somebodys career were Austin, Bret Hart and Lesnar as Austins break out moment was the King of the Ring, I may be wrong but didnt Bret win the title after winning KOTR (correct me if Im wrong, Im sure someone will) and Lesnar got the title shot against the Rock at Summerslam and became champ.

Bret lost the title to Yokozuna at Mania 9, who then dropped it to Hogan, The original plan was that Hogan would then drop the title to Bret at King of the Ring, but changed his mind and dropped it to Yokozuna instead. Bret won the KotR instead, then ended up feuding with Jerry Lawler.

The more I think of it, the more I like the sound of King Wade...
Back to top Go down
feяgie22
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
feяgie22

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 7:56 pm

A heel King Daniel Bryan would be good, just kicking, choking & making everything in sight tap, abit like Taz in ECW, minus throwing cunts about.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Yoin13
mrtc2003
NXT Champion
NXT Champion
mrtc2003

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Saint Jimmy wrote:

I think the gimmick of pretending to be an actual King is a bit of a joke. Id rather they just win the King of the Ring and get a title shot at Summerslam because of it, Royal Rumble style. Completely changing someones gimmick is a bit silly in my opinion.

I think the idea of the King gimmick can be a good way to freshen up someone's character. It certainly helped Booker T who's character was getting little state in my opinion. It was also about the only good thing about Mabel when he won KotR. I agree that others like Angle and Lesnar didn't really need the gimmick to get over.

I think it's a pity that they didn't give Billy Gunn the King gimmick after he won it in 1999. I'm not sure how much it would have helped him but it might have made him a bit more interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King of the Ring 2011   King of the Ring 2011 Empty

Back to top Go down

King of the Ring 2011
Page 1 of 1