Wrestling Forum And Videos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe Portal!Latest imagesRegisterLog in
We were DELETED. Link below to back up forum or our new WOKEN vessel

rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com rebirthofwrestling.forumotion.com

Thought it was called Soccer not Football

Go down 
+6
KentWrestlingLegend
Sexton Hardcastle
Geronimo(Jamie Thurtle)
boschbourne06
the-gaffer
GrayPhantom
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GrayPhantom
Wrestling Mates in living room
Wrestling Mates in living room
GrayPhantom

Country : Thought it was called Soccer not Football Scotland-2

Location : Saint Louis Number of posts : 50 Favourite Wrestler : Christian, Randy Orton

Thought it was called Soccer not Football Empty
PostSubject: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 3:29 am

This was not the posts I was expecting to see in the football forum. I was thinking american footbal, not soccer. Lol
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

Location : Glasgow Number of posts : 12238 Favourite Wrestler : CM Punk

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 10:21 am

Football is the European term for soccer, only really Americans and Austrilians consistantly call it soccer

I've never understood why Ameircan football is called just that when their is very rarely any actual kicking involved
Back to top Go down
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/U13785074
boschbourne06
Hesth Slater's Kid
boschbourne06

Country : Thought it was called Soccer not Football England-1

Location : Slough Number of posts : 15866 Favourite Wrestler : Ambrose
Rollins
Lesnar
CM Punk

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 11:06 am

its just stop ... start ... stop ... start and when it has stopped it takes about 5min to start again takes far to long thats the reason i lose interest to it
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=587269750&ref=pro
Geronimo(Jamie Thurtle)
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
Geronimo(Jamie Thurtle)

Location : Norwich Number of posts : 2354 Favourite Wrestler : CM Punk

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 11:58 am

I used to think the same but i fell in love with the Superbowl for some reason. Still there is a couple people on here like Sexton that know stuff about NFL so im sure you'll be able to chat about it somewhere.

Gaffer i make that case to a mate of mine who is American, he can't quite come to terms with the fact that their sport really has little to do with kicking at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thenwf.niceboard.net
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

Number of posts : 13076

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 12:07 pm

I never got why it was called that, most probably because football was already a well established sport when they invented american football and were too lazy to call it somthing that represents it, or somthing completely random, like cricket.

I do like NFL, used to be very sceptical, but the time they are not playing you get bombarded with stats and replays and end up learning a lot about it. it kind of suits the americans lust for comercials though, and that gets a bit annoying really.

Can't fathom why americans genrally think football is boring just because the score isnt massive, just means our defenses do their jobs more often lol. (i think basketball is boring because they score too often, takes the excitment out of it cos you just expect it to go in constantly)
Back to top Go down
KentWrestlingLegend
Intercontinental Champion
Intercontinental Champion

Location : Kent Number of posts : 774 Favourite Wrestler : Randy Orton, LAX

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 3:27 pm

GrayPhantom wrote:
This was not the posts I was expecting to see in the football forum. I was thinking american footbal, not soccer. Lol

HeadBash HeadBash HeadBash
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 6:10 pm

KentWrestlingLegend wrote:
GrayPhantom wrote:

HeadBash HeadBash HeadBash

it isnt that obvious to newish guys who may not of seen the discussion forums (untill they were moved) to know were basicly all from england and scotland Laughing
Back to top Go down
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'
First Local Main Event
First Local Main Event
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'

Location : Nottingham Number of posts : 160 Favourite Wrestler : Evan Bourne
Chris Jericho
Daniel Bryan
John Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 pm

I love NFL, absolutely great sport. Whilst it is stop start that doesn't really bother me and as Sexton said that's perfect for the Americans and their overkill of commercials. Football could learn a lot from NFL and i'm delighted with the annual Wembley game giving the sport more exposure over here. Incidentally, it was the NFL Draft this past weekend which is a sign that the new season's on its way.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 8:06 pm

anything big happen in the draft, this is why its good to have the odd american on here, cba sift the internet as im not truly bothered cos il find out when the season starts, but wouldnt mind knowing from an american perspective whats poppin'

---

who do you support airbourne? might refer to you as AB lol.

these are separate little points, but if you know what happened in the draft share too, dont have to be an american king smooth
Back to top Go down
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'
First Local Main Event
First Local Main Event
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'

Chris Jericho
Daniel Bryan
John Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I'm a Dolphins fan Sexton, not really sure why i picked them but i did and gotta stick with them now. The Lions picked QB Matt Stafford with the first overall pick and Jets traded tp pick 5 to get QB Mark Sanchez from USC. I don't really follow the college game but apparantly Stafford was by far the best QB in the Draft so i guess it makes sense. Dolphins picked a couple of wide receivers and a couple of corner backs early on which we needed so i'm happy.
Back to top Go down
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'
First Local Main Event
First Local Main Event
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'

Chris Jericho
Daniel Bryan
John Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Oh and calling me AB is fine by the way lol.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 pm

you picked dolphins because they were good maybe? Laughing

best thing about NFL is no one is really consistantly total shite, apart from texas texas texans of houston king

I had a good year of watching NFL last season, titans ffs, dont know where that all came from lol. Dont know if they will or have traded young to keep collins for one more year then get a new QB in draft or other trades, or are letting collins go and hoping VY comes good.

presume haynsworth has found somewhere to go, was his unrestricted thingy year, cant be arsed remember terms lol or somthign like that anyway.

was gutted titans couldnt make the superbowl :/
Back to top Go down
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'
First Local Main Event
First Local Main Event
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'

Chris Jericho
Daniel Bryan
John Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Dolphins were crap when i chose them though Laughing So close to 0-16 the season before last it was unreal, then out of nowhere, new regime and we make the play-offs! Think we'll struggle this season though.

Haynesworth has gone to Redskins as he was an unrestricted free agent. some other big moves are Jay Cutler QB from Broncos to Bears, Terrell Owens WR from Cowboys to Bills and TJ Houshmanzadeh WR from Bengals to Seahawks.

Titans re-signed Collins and still have Young as back-up. apparantly Young will have to "win his job back", so that should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Most decorated Champion in history
Discopants

Location : Babylon Number of posts : 7492 Favourite Wrestler : Abdullah the Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 pm

One thing I've always wanted to see is a draft in the prem, be well fun if not fair.

Imagine Ronaldo at Hull and Fabregas at West Brom.

Be a well good way to split up the big four if the FA were so bothered about it.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 pm

Clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea would need to be given all sorts of Money though from the FA to basically buy the rights of their players before they allowed them to be drafted, I agree though, every summer would be epic, how about it Disco, big Kenwin Jones at Newcastle for Shola Amobi, sure you would have something to say about that draft
Back to top Go down
Discopants
Discopants

Location : Babylon Number of posts : 7492 Favourite Wrestler : Abdullah the Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Think I'd cry for the whole year Sad

They should do it somewhere nobody cares about first.

Like League 1 maybe....
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 1:01 am

taking th piss out o
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 1:37 pm

the draft isnt swapping players, thats just trading, but well done anyway Razz

Draft is about choosing college players basicly.
Back to top Go down
the-gaffer
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
the-gaffer

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 2:11 pm

I think what Disco meant was every club starting from scratch and random players just getting distrupted to different teams
Back to top Go down
thegunman84
5 Time World Champion
5 Time World Champion
thegunman84

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 2:19 pm

I think it would work better if it took on the whole NFL model. Drafting of young players, but also a wage cap, which would force the big teams to trade some of their big players because of the restrictions. Course to really be effective it would have to be a worldwide initiative enforced by FIFA.
Back to top Go down
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'
First Local Main Event
First Local Main Event
ECW is 'Air-Bourne'

Chris Jericho
Daniel Bryan
John Morrison

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Without something similar to the college system they have in USA (which we don't have) a draft could never really work. I suppose we could set-up something similar to the college system but it would take years to implement and would probably fail anyway.

As for a salary cap, i have said for years that i think it would be a great idea. Yes it would need to be implemented worldwide to stop a mass exodus to wherever the money is but it would not only even-up the leagues stopping the same clubs winning over and over but also limit wages which are spiralling out of control fast. There's also a salary cap system working effectively in Rugby (Union and League) as well as in the A-League which is the Australian 'soccer' league. Would be a great move by FIFA if it did happen.
Back to top Go down
Horizon
World Champion Winner At WM
World Champion Winner At WM
Horizon

Location : Bristol Number of posts : 2650 Favourite Wrestler : CM Punk

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 9:00 pm

college system could just be like the under 18's or whatever
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid
Sexton Hardcastle

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 12:43 pm

but clubs OWN the under 18s lol. you cant just one year just take everyones players and say the FA owns them lol.

Wage cap is the thing that would be best, for a few years I have also pondered why somthing couldnt be put in effect. It would totaly liven up football and you would get lots of differant types of teams coming into fuition. Some managers would decide best way to spend is getting solid defence and keeper for example, some would just go for the all out attack, some more balanced. Also it would drive down the value of the currently stupidly over valued players, no £100m transfers that people seem to agree will start to kill the game, it already is killing everything bar premiership in england.

for example, wigan being in the premiership due to pretty solid money flow and backing from a rich man, is driving other clubs who are still premiership size into the bottom of the championship, norwich got to the premiership but didnt last because they didnt spend a fuck load, now they are fucked as they lost their best players when they went down basicly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought it was called Soccer not Football   Thought it was called Soccer not Football Empty

Back to top Go down

Thought it was called Soccer not Football
Page 1 of 1